When we’re stuck in a negative loop, affirmations are one of the easiest and most effective ways to skip the track. Here are fifteen of our favorites.
It is by no small measure that whenever our mind takes a turn toward the dark side of life and we seem to spiral out of control into doom and gloom, there are effective tactics to bring those thoughts back into a “glass half full” mentality. And, if I might add, the shadowy dark thoughts we tend to gravitate toward are absolutely necessary and meaningful and healing—it’s simply dwelling in those places that can pull us into an unhealthy abyss, where we want to stay on a day to day basis.
I have this ritual whereby I write down phrases from prominent philosophers, authors, gurus, mentors, world leaders, environmentalists, and a host of other inspirational men and women who offer their hearts and words to the world. Some are so poignant and transforming that even a simple sentence can make my day. I apply them into my morning yoga, meditation, or better yet when walking my dog and appreciating nature.
These memes infiltrate my thoughts and bring a sense of calm, peace, positivity, and affirm everything about what I aspire to or am going through.
Here are some that might resonate with you, might bring a smile to your face, might light up your life, might even give you the impetus to follow suit in pasting some on your fridge or mirror to gaze at from time to time.
They certainly help when sadness or grief or negativity sets in—and, while it’s crucial to feel all of the above in their full capacity, living in those spaces without freely moving on from them will carry your heart down into the doldrums… and who wants to be there 24/7?
- “Success is a terrible thing and a wonderful thing…just do what you love.” —Gene Wilder
- “The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.” —William Blake
- “There is a pleasure in these pathless woods, there is rapture on the lonely shore, there is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea and music in its roar.” —Lord Byron
- “The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but our attitude towards them.” —Antoine de St. Exupery
- “Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.” —Mark Twain
- “Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.” —Vincent Van Gogh
- “There is more to life than increasing its speed.” —Mahatma Gandhi
- “Love is the beauty of the soul.” —St. Augustine
- “The soul that perpetually overflows with kindness and sympathy will always be cheerful.” —William Godwin
- “Things do not change. We change.” —Henry David Thoreau
- “If you don’t fail it’s because you did not risk enough, and if you didn’t risk enough, it’s because you didn’t put your whole self out there.” —Carlos Barrabas
- “Guilt, regret, resentment, sadness and all forms of non-forgiveness are caused by too much past and not enough presence.” —Eckhart Tolle
- “Hope never abandons you; you abandon it.” —George Weinberg
- “Take a rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.” —Ovid
- “Life is a paradise for those who live many things with passion.” —Leo Buscaglia
These are some phrases that will assist in alleviating the over-thinking of negative thoughts. The words carry weight from all avenues of people who have lived through their work and are now walking their talk, or have passed on in this world and left us with chosen sentences that can change the course of our day or lives.
The power in affirmations is something to trust and believe in. Write them down. Process them in every cell of your body. Breathe them in for a moment and feel what comes up. If anything, love is at the root of them all.